Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Desperate Spinner


Not a whole lot of explanation needed here I'm afraid. I believe this is evidence that I've gone over the edge... Sunday afternoon heading home from Whidbey, we just missed the ferry so it was nearly 1-1/2 hours until the next one. It was pouring down rain so stuck in the truck we were. Linda had her knitting to occupy her time, I on the other hand had forgotten mine, along with my drop spindle. Linda had also won a fiber door prize (she had also won an amazing door prize at the Edgewood Spin-In.... hmmmmm... she was holding both of our tickets...) and I was curious how it would spin up. I had dp needles (used to make camelid fiber punis in the workshop) but no yarn. I attempted to spin Linda's wool by rolling the dp needle along my leg to build twist... a hopelessly lame attempt to create any reasonably sound yarn. Linda, watched me for a moment then grabbed a baby carrot from the bag of veggies, "Here, use this!" she exclaimed as she handed me the baby carrot. I quickly stabbed the dp needle into the carrot and voila! The carrot spindle was born. Honest, it really did work!!! It was a little wobbly, but a bit more precise placement and perhaps a nibble off one end would have made a more balanced tool, but usable "as is" it most certainly was...

No comments: