Thursday, November 30, 2006

Low Twist Single Spun Yarn


I was trying to spin a single that would resemble Manos del Uruguay... this is as close as I got. I have come to the conclusion that this type of yarn, although it looks like it should be easy, is the most difficult to spin, at least for me. The wool is Blue-Faced Leicester that I dyed and then drumcarded. I spun it "woolen" on my Louet, with the drive band on the largest whorl and plenty of take up so I wouldn't be able to accidentally add too much twist. The staple length was between 6-8 inches so not too much twist was needed. I know it is impossible to spin a "balanced" single, but this skein was hanging pretty darn straight and relaxed!!

1 comment:

Sara W. said...

That looks a lot like Manos to me! I find that when I buy commercial yarn, I like singles best, and for my own yarn, I like my singles when I spin silk or soy silk and I have to ply when I spin wool and wool blends. I aspire to being able to spin a wool single that's that thick as evenly as that! :-) - Sara from the Spindler's list